University of North Florida
Assistant or Associate Professor in ASL/English Interpreting, Position 337490
The University of North Florida, College of Education and Human Services, invites applications for a 9 month, tenure-earning position as an Assistant or Associate Professor in the B.S. and M.S. degree programs in ASL/English Interpreting, beginning in August 2015. This position requires teaching in graduate and undergraduate programs using hybrid and distance technologies, designing online, hybrid, and traditional courses, advising and mentoring students, engaging in empirical research, committing to institutional and community service, and revising-developing curricula in accordance with the standards of the Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education. Summer teaching is available. The B.S. program at UNF, established in 2007, offers a hybrid 2+2 articulation model with 2-year interpreting degree programs around the state (AS to BS Concentration in General Practice) and a concentration in Community Interpreting for UNF students. The master’s degree program was implemented in January 2009, and students from 15 states in the southeast region may apply for in-state tuition. Reduced tuition is granted to students outside the region. The program has two concentrations: Interpreting Pedagogy (online plus 10-day summer sessions) and General Practitioner (online with one weekend per semester on campus). Both programs are philosophically devoted to service learning in the Deaf community, interpreting research, and international study opportunities. Nestled among more than 1,000 acres of trees, trails and lakes, the university is located in beautiful Jacksonville near beaches and the Florida School for the Deaf & the Blind in historic St. Augustine.
The position requirements include:
- Earned doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction, Deaf Education, Interpreting, Linguistics, Adult Learning, or related field.
- Experience teaching online or web-enhanced courses
- Current interpreting experience
- College/university teaching experience in ASL/English Interpreting
- Evidence of a research agenda and scholarly productivity
- National certification from NAD, RID, or AVLIC (CSC, CI & CT, NIC, COI, or NAD IV/V)
Preference will be given to individuals with:
- Multiple RID certifications
- Full-time university teaching experience in ASL/English Interpreting
- Experience with and commitment to working with diverse populations
- Expertise in curriculum design and program development
- Experience designing and delivering online and web-enhanced courses
The salary range is $58,000 – negotiable, depending upon qualifications and experience. The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin on November 3, 2014. Applicants must apply online at http://www.unfjobs.org and must submit all required documents to be considered for this position. UNF is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access/Affirmative Action Institution.