Non Tenure Track Faculty
Job Title: Non-Tenure TrackFaculty Job ID: 19177
Department: Department of Interpretation and Translation Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEPARTMENT OF INTERPRETATION AND TRANSLATION
NON-TENURE-TRACK FACULTY POSITION
SCHOOL OF EDUCATION, BUSINESS, AND HUMAN SERVICES
POSITION CONTINGENT ON FUNDING
Gallaudet University serves deaf and hard of hearing students from many different backgrounds and seeks to develop a workforce that reflects the diversity of its student body. Gallaudet is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and actively encourages deaf, hard of hearing members of traditionally underrepresented groups, people with disabilities, women, and veterans to apply for open positions.
The Department of Interpretation and Translation at Gallaudet University consists of a variety of degree programs – Bachelors of Interpretation (BAI), Masters of Interpretation (MAI), and Doctor of Philosophy in Translation and Interpreting Studies. In these programs, students engage in courses that advance their professional skills and theoretical knowledge of the field of Translation and Interpreting Studies in signed language interpreting, with a focus on American Sign Language-English interpreting.
- Earned master degree in a language-related field.
- Current RID, CASLI (AVLIC), or ASLTA certification (or documented equivalent for international applicants).
- Experience in teaching American Sign Language-English interpreting (e.g., theory, skills, professional practice, history of profession).
- Knowledge about current pedagogical practices in interpreter and/or translator education.
- Excellent American Sign Language (ASL) skills, including the ability to lecture and conduct daily department business in ASL.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Experience as an interpreter/translator practitioner (preferred).
- Teach ASL-English interpretation and translation courses to undergraduate students. Note: Teaching load will be determined based on level of responsibility (See #2 below).
- Organize and oversee mentoring, field experience, and pro bono interpreting experiences for students.
- Mentor students on ASL development with individualized, diagnostic feedback.
- Engage in professional development opportunities of current pedagogy and best practices in teaching interpretation and translation.
- Participate in department and university faculty activities and professional service.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the chair.
Rank and salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Your materials should be sent electronically to the following email address:
A complete application contains the following materials:
- Letter of application addressing qualifications
- Curriculum vita (including information about prior courses taught and, if available, copies of teaching evaluations)
- Samples of academic publications (if available)
- Three letters of reference demonstrating qualifications for the position
- Official graduate transcripts (Must be mailed. See instructions below.)
The Search Committee will continue to receive and review applications until the position is filled. Questions may be addressed to the DoIT Faculty Search Committee at DOITsearchcommittee@gallaudet.edu
Note: Official transcripts of graduate work must be mailed to:
Department of Interpreting and Translation
800 Florida Avenue, NE
Washington, DC 20002-3695